Tabs

Thursday, September 20, 2012

mrs. meyer's knock-off countertop spray!

Delicious.

The smell, I mean!  Don't drink it.  While making your own homemade cleaners definitely renders them less toxic, it certainly can't make lemon juice and vinegar a delectable combination.  Still, it smells wonderful!


Do you use Mrs. Meyer's??

I never have, but I've heard they make nice products that smell great.  Maybe somewhere on down the road, when we're fancier than we are now, maybe then I'll get around to finding and buying them.

In the meantime, we make our own cleaners around here.  From laundry soap to window cleaner, to that stuff you use to scrub your bathtub.  It's easy, but more importantly, it's practically free!

And I feel good about things that are free, or even practically free!


The bulk of this recipe is made up of things you probably already have around your house, except maybe the essential oils, which I picked up off Amazon, but I've been meaning to get some of these for a while and I know I'll use them elsewhere, too.  If you don't have essential oils, however, you can still make this recipe, it just won't have the same scent without the essential oils.  They really aren't vital to the recipe, however, and not having them on hand shouldn't keep you from enjoying clean counters!



Mrs. Meyer's Knock-Off Lemon Verbena Countertop Spray

2 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4-5 drops lemongrass essential oil
4-5 drops lemon essential oil

Using a funnel (or, being careful not to spill), pour all ingredients into a spray bottle.  Screw the lid on and shake well.

Shake well before subsequent use as well.

This is technically a knock-off countertop spray, but it really works well almost anywhere in the kitchen.  The counters, the floor, the windows.  I like to use baking soda as a scouring powder on my stovetop to get off grease an stuck-on food.  It seems to work better for that, but you might try this on your stovetop as well.  Just don't mix it with the baking soda.  Baking soda and vinegar neutralize one another, so they'll both lose their really good cleaning power if you mix them.

Hope you enjoy this inexpensive household cleaner as much as I do!

If only it could do my dishes...

No comments:

Post a Comment